- according to recent studies under the EPIC research program (Εuropean Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition), the Mediterranean diet combined with some tea, protects against various cancers.
- it has been found that the inhabitants of Crete island, whose diet is the best example of the Mediterranean diet, have the lowest rates worldwide of mortality from cardiovascular disease and cancer. The first detailed nutritional research was done to the residents of Crete in 1948.
- in the palaces of Minoan Crete were found large jars that used to store olive oil, cereals, pulses and honey. The rural population still uses the products of nature which are the basis of the famous traditional Cretan cuisine.
- the elderly residents of Ikaria Island feed primarily on fish, fruits, vegetables, legumes and tea. According to recent scientific data, Ikaria along with Sardinia and Okinawa (Japan) have the highest rates of population that exceed the ninety years of age.
- the daily use of olive oil seems to have a positive impact even in the sexual life of the elderly while it increases the rates of satisfaction from sexual activity.
- “My God, how much oil do you use?!” exclaimed the renowned Dr. Ancel Keys when he saw the large quantity of olive oil in the green salad dish.
- according to Greek mythology the dairy products of Crete have fed the great god Zeus, who was born in a cave and was nurtured by a goat named Amalthea.
..more of “Did you know that” soon!