- Acropolis rock is of limestone and has been in existence since Late Cretaceous period.
- the first habitation remains on the Acropolis date from the Neolithic period.
- the Acropolis was also known as Cecropia, a name that took after the first Athenian king Cecrops, the legendary serpent-man.
- the Acropolis’ construction started in 447 BC and ended in 438 BC and the Parthenon was built in 8-9 years only.
- the Acropolis rock remained a residential area until the 6th century B.C.
- the dimensions of the base of the Parthenon are 69.5 m by 30.9 m (228.0 x 101.4 ft).
- the monument has 46 exterior and 19 interior columns in total.
- the Parthenon was built of solid white Pentelic marble from the mount of Penteli which is located 12 km from the Acropolis.
- twenty-two thousand tons of this type of marble were used in the Parthenon construction.
..more of “Did you know that” soon!