- rosemary is used a lot in cooking. However, its properties are more than the aroma and flavor it gives to food.
- grilled or fried meats, fish etc release hazardous substances during baking. The high cooking temperatures cause the formation of these chemicals (HCAs and PAHs) in meat, fish and poultry which may be carcinogenic.
- these chemicals are also suspected for other diseases such as brain aging, neurodegenerative diseases, Alzheimer, Parkinson, cerebral diseases etc.
- rosemary contains the active ingredients carnosol, carnosic acid and rosmarinic acid which are powerful antioxidants and have the ability to block and prevent the Heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons up to 90%.
- marinating the roasts with rosemary as a basic ingredient is a wise choice.
- rosemary also has antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- therefore rosemary is often used to smoking meats but also in the manufacture of cheese and wine. It gives flavor and helps on their conservation.
..more of “Did you know that” soon!