- the tomato is the ideal fruit for dieting because it consists almost entirely of water and organic substances
- Lycopene is an antioxidant contained in tomatoes, which exists in all red fruits or vegetables
- Lycopene has an antitumor effect
- a study on tomato consumption and prostate cancer, conducted at Harvard University among 47.000 men and showed that those who ate food with tomato or tomato sauce at least two times a week, had a 20% lower risk of developing prostate cancer
- another research with similar results was the “pizza study”.
- Lycopene is also helping on the health of the cardiovascular system because it improves the condition of the arteries and prevents atherosclerosis
- it strengthens the white blood cells and thus the immune system
- the tomato sauces contain more lycopene than the raw tomatoes. Cooking process increases the concentration of lycopene
- eating tomatoes with a little olive oil or cheese helps the better absorption of lycopene
- the tomato also contains flavonoids (catechins acid, flavone, flavonols) which are very beneficial for the lungs
- it is rich in folic acid, vitamins A, C, E and B complex, chromium, selenium, magnesium, copper, iron and manganese
- the vitamins, minerals and trace elements of the tomato regulate sugar and cholesterol levels while they help to constipation cases. Are also beneficial to fertility and nervous system, can help in diabetis, improve skin and hair health and the growth of teeth and bones.
..more of “Did you know that” soon!